has received press coverage in the past, in his former role as portfolio
manager for the GBC Canadian Bond Fund. These articles, published
in the " Pro's Picks " column of The
Globe and Mail, may be viewed on-line through the Globe and Mail's
Fund Web Site. These articles were published April 26, 1997 and
July 11, 1998, authored by Andrew Allentuck.
Further coverage was received in June, 2002, after a superb annual return posted by Malachite Aggressive Preferred Fund. The story by Dow Jones Newswire is reprinted (PDF, 43KB). Another article (PDF, 40KB) was posted by the Globe and Mail on its website on July 22.
James Hymas has written the following
- How Long is Forever, an examination of the investment merits of high-premium perpetual preferreds.
- Corporate Bonds ... or Preferred Shares?, a comparison of historical rates of return. (Spreadsheet)
- Perpetual and Retractible Preferred Shares : so, what's the difference?
- A Call, too, Harms: Implications of Yield-to-Worst
- Yield Ahead: Calculating Yield-to-Worst for preferred shares
- Dividends & Ex-Dates : An explanation of the terms "Ex-Date", "Record Date" and "Payment Date" ... required for yield calculations!
- Are Floating Prefs Money Market Vehicles?: Many assume they are ... and many regret it!
- Note: There is an error on the table "DBRS Downgrades": the issues GT.PR.A, STQ.E and SXT.PR.A should have been reported in the "Split-Share" column - they are not Perpetuals
- Using Credit Ratings When Buying Preferreds: An introduction to Credit Ratings
- Closed End Preferred Funds: Effects of Calls: Examines the characteristics of the underlying portfolios held by DPS.UN, PFD.PR.A and PFR.UN and predicts the effects that calls on issues held will have on the NAV and distributions of these funds.
- Note: The "Y" axes of the two charts at the bottom left of the first page were mislabelled.
- The "Y" axis of the chart "Projected Absolute Net Dividends" should be labelled "Projected Annual Dividend (dollars)"
- The "Y" axis of the chart "Projected Relative Gross Dividends" should be labelled "Projected Relative Dividend (Current = 100)"
- The following "extras" are provided here:
The following press releases have been issued regarding HIMIPref™, the prefshares.com website and new issue recommendations: